Amongst motorheads, bringing up any topic pertaining to motor oil is sure to spark some lively debate. There is an overwhelming amount of information out there pertaining to auto lubrication, but not enough facts. Consider this, it’s no wonder knowing exactly what you should be doing with motor oil can be confusing for the everyday driver.
Whether you’re an avowed auto junkie, or just want a few facts, here are 5 things you probably don’t know about motor oil:
- You Can Mix Them: There is no danger to mixing synthetic oil with traditional oil. However, some experts say that while mixing won’t damage your car, that conventional oil may detract from the superior performance of synthetics. Ultimately, it’s your call but you needn’t worry that it will blow up your engine.
- Synthetic is Better: There are many reasons to opt for synthetic over traditional motor oil made with fossil fuels. The primary reason is the environmental concerns, and the secondary one is that synthetic oil has been specifically designed to have a higher viscosity, meaning that you don’t have to change your oil as often and are also able to handle a wider range of temperatures while still performing well.
- But There’s Still a Place for Regular: While synthetic may be the better option in most cases, there are still times when you’ll want to reach for regular motor oil. New engine parts can sometimes have some rough edges that haven’t been worked-over yet, and traditional oils are better at smoothing these surfaces. Also, if you drive a classic car, you’ll definitely want to stick to mineral-based oils as that is what those engines are designed to work with.
- The “Dark Oil” Rule is a Myth: Many of us learned when we had our first car that dark oil equals a needed oil change. This isn’t always true and can instead mean that the oil is simply doing its job by suspending and filtering impurities in your engine. Make sure that your oil is replaced at the right interval as recommended by your vehicle’s manufacturer and based on the amount of driving you do and don’t worry so much about the color.
- Spiffy Can Take Care of It for You: Spiffy’s mobile oil change service makes changing your oil at recommended intervals easier than ever by bringing it to you. Our high-performance oils last up to 2x longer than traditional conventional oil so you can spend less time at the mechanic and more time doing what you love.
Interested in mobile oil change? Check out our fast and convenient service by clicking learn more, below.
Posted in Car Care